Tuesday, January 19, 2016
No, Not Another One!
DJ Khaled, a long-time DJ with several hit records has recently soared to new heights in terms of popularity because of his "inspirational" snapchat's. Snapchat is an application where users can take photos, record videos, add text and drawings, and send them to a controlled list of recipients, or in Khaled's case, millions of people. Khaled's claim to fame came in 2009, when he became president of the record label Def Jam South. Khaled later became CEO and founder of We the Best Music Group, and now he is living the life in his Miami home. However, Khaled has recently experienced a new surge of popularity, something completely out of no where. I like to think that I was the first one who noticed Khaled's snapchat's, and that I was the one who got them popular. But it seemed as though just when it got to be a major topic of conversation within my friend group, people all over the world were hopping on the DJ Khaled bandwagon. Before I knew it, Khaled was all over Twitter, Instagram, and even SportsCenter. I was shocked by how much media attention one man could get in so little time, but just like anything else that gains popularity to fast, it's bound to get to the point of simply annoying, and it has.
If you're wondering what all the fuss is about DJ Khaled's snapchat's, I'll be the first to say that his snapchat's are completely meaningless and stupid. At first, myself along with everyone else thought they were funny, because this dude's talking about "the keys to success" being "more pillows, coco butter, opening doors that close on you, etc." Khaled's snapchat's were just something that me, my friends, and social media altogether just made a huge joke of. But, because it got so big so fast, it seems to have died down quicker than when it got big. I know I'm not alone when I say that now Khaled's snapchat's are simply annoying, and I'm probably not the only one who recently unfollowed him on snapchat because nobody really cares anymore, the joke is seemingly dead. This supports the idea that trends can only be cool for so long. What makes a new trend "cool" is that it's exclusive and unique; however, as the trend gains popularity it is no longer exclusive or unique, making it no longer "cool". DJ Khaled is one of the many trends which our culture has consumed only to spit back out shortly after, and then to be followed by "Another One". This can also be credited to the mass use of social media in modern society.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment