Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Starbucks

Starbucks has been acknowledged and praised for its excellence in branding and marketing. It has done this by creating a branded experience that can satisfy the expert, bring in new fans, be accessible to all, and irresistible in its appeal. Consumers emotionally connect with brands when the brands repeatedly provide something that the consumer wants, desires, or needs, and that is what Starbucks has done. I for one, love Starbucks because it never fails to fulfill my expectations, and I don't remember ever meeting someone who feels differently about it. However, much of the company's success comes not from what is inside the cup, but rather what can be found outside the cup.

Starbucks is everywhere. It seems as though it is impossible to walk down a street without seeing a location on the corner or someone walking around with its extremely noticeable cups. Myself being a dependable Starbucks customer, I have found that not only do I constantly crave its products, I crave its image. I write this as I look out onto the ocean from a beachfront hotel in Hawaii (and must I include that right next to the hotel pool is a Starbucks), and I'm noticing a whole lot of people flashing their trendy Starbucks cups. As I see this, my first thought is that I need Starbucks; however, it's not because I'm dying for double chocolate chip frappuccino, but rather because I look at that iconic white and green cup and see intelligence, class, and power. This distinct and renowned Starbucks cup is what sets Starbucks apart from most stores and puts it right up there with Nike, Apple, and Coca Cola in terms of popularity and prominence. Starbucks coffee seems to simply act as a medium for the consumer to effectively market its own image, which makes it so successful.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that a huge part of what makes Starbucks the most successful coffee company in the world is its branding. As you said people become enticed to buy a drink from Starbucks just by seeing the logo. If I saw someone drinking a cup of coffee with a "Pete's Coffee" logo on it, I wouldn't feel like I want some Pete's Coffee. However, the Starbucks logo just seems to hit home for many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh, a lovemark has been established. You're becoming irrational Will. Nobody should feel as attached to such a lame cup of coffee as you and so many others do. Now, I know Starbucks does some great things for it's employees but it is a scary thing that any company has this kind of trust from its consumers. It's strange to me that Starbucks has managed to ingrain its company message into the hearts and minds of American consumers. Frankly Will, I hope I never reach the point in my life where I establish an irrational love for a brand in the way that Nike, Starbucks, or Apple has ensnared you.

    ReplyDelete