Stephen Curry: Game Changer
This Degree Men short film featuring current NBA superstar, Stephen Curry, his father Dell Curry, and future Hall of Famer Steve Nash, seeks to advertise Degree's full range of deodorants and antiperspirants. However, it did this without really mentioning the product, or showing it in the film at all. Rather, this strategy focuses solely on Stephen Curry, the current face of the NBA, and how he is a "game changer."
I found this advertisement through youtube, where I like to watch videos of sporting icons and controversial sporting events. It came up after I had spent a large amount of time watching videos of Stephen Curry, and I clicked on it, completely oblivious to the fact that it was an advertisement. When I first saw this clip, I thought I was watching just another video on how great of a player Stephen Curry is, and how he has revolutionized the game with his unique style of play that has been so effective. I didn't realize until the very end that the video was actually an advertisement for new Degree Men products. I found it very interesting that Degree chose to advertise its products without giving them a significant part in the ad, but I thought this was done very effectively. Nobody really cares about the product, but people do care about the person representing the product. Stephen Curry is certainly somebody that is looked up to in the eyes of NBA fans, and the goal of the ad is to compel its viewers to seek more information on Degree products because Stephen Curry represents them.
Another very interesting aspect of this advertisement is how it subconsciously ties Degree products with being a better basketball player and a game changer. By talking about how great of a player Stephen Curry is and then mentioning Degree, it makes us feel as though if we use Degree products we can be great like Stephen Curry, although it does not say that explicitly. Clearly, it is not true that using Degree will make you a better basketball player, but the advertisement makes you feel like it will. This is another reason that this advertisement is so effective, because everyone wants to improve their game in whatever way possible, especially if it means not having to put any work in.
In addition, Degree appeals to a wider audience by including past NBA stars. These include Steph's father, Dell Curry, one of the great three point shooters to ever play the game, and Steve Nash, one of the NBA's best point guards ever. By including these players, the advertisement is not only appealing to a younger audience with Stephen Curry, but also an older audience with these retired stars. It gives everybody a reason to want Degree products, rather than just engaging with a specific audience.
No comments:
Post a Comment