Will Ferrell Reprises George W. Bush Role on 'Saturday Night Live' to Mock GOP Field
I absolutely love Saturday Night Live. I tune in practically every Saturday at 11:30 with my family because we love it too much to not see it live. For those of you that don't know, SNL is a late-night comedy show featuring several short skits and parodies, a live guest band or artist, and a pop-cultural guest host each week. This week I was especially excited because one of my favorite artists, Chance the Rapper, would be making an appearance on the show to perform. The opening skit for last nights' show was Will Ferrell, taking on the role of George Bush, announcing his decision to enter the republican race in the 2016 presidential campaign, and then mocking each of the leading candidates.
This was definitely one of the better SNL skits I have seen in a while. I don't know much about politics nor about this upcoming election, but I have been following, to some extent, the absurdity within the Republican race through social media. While this skit is mostly a parody of the Republican candidates, it also exhibits a lot of truth. Thus far in this election, it seems as though the craziest candidates are the ones not only getting the most attention, but also the most support. As strange as this sounds, it is true.
As many of you know, Donald Trump is currently leading the polls in the Republican race despite his seemingly racist, sexist, malicious comments and intentions. It makes me wonder if people truly believe and agree in what he is saying, or if they simply appreciate that he speaks his mind on political issues without being overly politically correct. Now more than ever, it seems as though people are looking for the most frank candidate, even if what they are saying goes against traditional American values, to support. Trump's outlandish positions have gotten him far more media attention than any other candidate in the race; however, rather than losing supporters he is gaining them. It is absolutely absurd, and I have never seen anything like it. However, I believe that in the end, American values will outweigh voters' artificial views, and we may attain order once again.
I love SNL too but I missed this episode. However, from the clip you've shown, I couldn't help but to laugh aloud. I don't understand politics as well, however with this clip you don't have to know about politics to laugh at it. Now, mixed in with the funny comments that had nothing to do with politics, were also some interesting things people should know about the Republican candidates of the election. The things that Ferrell said that were actually true, were very informative and to me it felt like he was implicitly showing his distaste for the Republicans. Nonetheless, Will Ferrell did an excellent job of making humor out of politics, just as someone like Stephen Colbert or Jon Stewart would. Good job Will!
ReplyDelete