Sunday, December 13, 2015

"I'm a Pizza Guy"

Pizza Guys Commercial

"I'm Ben McLemore, of the Sacramento Kings, and I'm a Pizza Guy. Are you a Pizza Guy?" I have been a huge Kings fan for my entire life, despite the fact that they (or we as I like to think myself a part of the team) haven't been very good since I was a little kid. Growing up watching the team as well as my dad's extreme passion for the team has aided to my love and support for them. For the past five years, Pizza Guys has played the same commercials about eight times with every Kings game I watch. Multiply that by the number of Kings games I have watched, and that's a lot of Pizza Guys commercials. If that isn't convincing enough, I have memorized each word to just about every Pizza Guys commercial, starting with ex-Kings point guard Isaiah Thomas, and now shooting guard Ben McLemore.

I am not one to see an advertisement and think, "I need this product." To be honest, I think these commercials are kind of stupid, but in a funny way. However, these Pizza Guys commercials gave me a reason to try their pizza. I think the reason for this is not because I see them so often, but rather because they feature Kings players. When I see any person that I envy in an advertisement, I immediately pay attention, and Pizza Guys is targeting Kings fans with these commercials by including guys like Isaiah Thomas and Ben McLemore. I must say, I have tried Pizza Guys once before and it was not my favorite, but if it weren't for these commercials I wouldn't have ever thought of going to Pizza Guys. Do I really care about what Pizza Guys has to offer, cheap/average pizza? No, I can't say I do. Nonetheless, I do care about the Kings, and by including Kings players is what makes this commercial effective.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you on this one. Whenever I hear something that has any reference to Pizza Guys, the first thing that comes to mind is Ben McLemore asking me, "Are you a Pizza Guy?" It is also interesting why Pizza Guys chose McLemore to be their spokesperson after Isaiah Thomas left. I would have assumed they would have possibly chosen Demarcus Cousins because he is the most dominant player on the Kings. But, well done Will!

    ReplyDelete